Baume & Mercier’s story begins in 1830 with the founding of a family business. Brothers Louis-Victor and Célestin Baume opened a comptoir horloger (watch dealership) in Les Bois, a village in the Swiss Jura. Their company developed rapidly and earned an excellent reputation by creating exceptional models incorporating cutting-edge innovations. Loyal to their motto “Accept only perfection, only manufacture watches of the highest quality”, the Frères Baume company enjoyed rapid growth. Louis- Victor was a true visionary who already intuitively sensed women’s interest in watchmaking and gifted his daughter Mélina a gold pocket-watch in 1869.